1. Tweet new content – link to your blog, comment on the news, offer up a pithy quote or talk about something happening in your life (NOT: sitting on the patio, gazing at my navel, drinking a soy latte – no one cares!)
2. ReTweet other people’s content.
3. Comment on other Tweeters’ content, engage in conversation.
4. Tweet job listings – a lot of folks are seeking employment and if nothing else, this will build karma for you.
5. Participate in both #WW (Wednesday Writers Worth following mentions) and #FF (Follow Fridays where you tout your most interesting followers to others)
6. Follow people who are in your field, tweet interesting content, reply to your tweets, who follow you or those who follow your followers. Network!
You need not do these every day (and try to do #WW and #FF on appropriate days), but do them several times a week. I recommend tweeting three times a day (at a minimum) four days a week.
These steps really work. I took a client account with 14 followers and increased that number to nearly 300 in under a week! I can’t promise the same results to you, but I guarantee these steps do work.